Giving a voice to those who need one.
Community Living Ontario advocates for the full inclusion of people who have an intellectual disability in all aspects of community life.
We work together with people who have an intellectual disability and their families to shape public policy by:
- Developing position papers on relevant issues
- Collaborating with organizations that share our Vision
- Analyzing and responding to government policy and legislation
- Sharing what we know with the Government of Ontario
- Making sure our members have the right tools to make their voices heard
Social Policy Issues:
- Inclusive Education
- Supports and Services
- Freedom from Harm
- Heath and Well Being
Community Living Ontario Policies and Positions:
Article 19 of the United Nations’ Convention on the Rights for Persons with Disabilities states:
Persons with disabilities have the opportunity to choose:
- Their place of residence;
- Where and with whom they live; and
- Are not obliged to live in a particular living arrangement.
In Canada, there are still thousands of men and women living in large institutions designed decades ago for people who have an intellectual disability.